If you sell your house London, you will save a substantial sum (the typical estate agents fee is between 1.5 and 2 percent, which pays £2,250-£3,000 on a £150,000 property). The drawback is the time and work that you will have to put in yourself. If you try but fail to sell your house in London, you won’t save anything, but you still lose the time and the opportunity to move.
What does an estate agent to sell your house in London?
A good estate agent will visit your property and suggest three possible sale amounts. Once you have chosen an agent and the price that you want to put it on the market for, the agent should:
- Send you a Contract setting out their terms and conditions. Read this before you sign.
- Measure and photograph the property to produce the sales particulars, checking them through with you.
- Help you to secure an Energy Performance Certificate you don’t have to use the agent to provide this service and they should charge around £50 for the certificate.
- Put a ‘for sale’ board outside your property (assuming you want one; your estate agent should give you the option).
- Advertise your property locally, on the internet and via newspapers. It’s important to negotiate this as it doesn’t always happen automatically.
The three suggested asking prices that an estate agent should give you are the asking price, a fair price, and a lower price. Contact St – James Capital Investments for more information on this and how to make your decision for which price to sell your house in London.
The various benefits a good agent brings to sell your house in London
- Advertise it on their premises and via their website as well as advertising directly to a list of potential buyers.
- Arrange viewings for legitimate buyers (and show people around your house if you aren’t there).
- Receive offers, communicating them to you in writing and negotiating on your behalf.
- Liaise with your buyer, you and your solicitor.
- Arrange the handover of keys on completion day.
In any field, the experience is something to be valued. Someone who has spent years helping people buy and sell property should be able to forestall problems, keep the process moving efficiently and effectively, and offer informed advice when decisions are required.
Some estate agency practices are run by property surveyors and they tend to have a good feel of the overall market as they will be members of RICS and are likely to contribute to and receive their property price surveys.They also survey other properties locally, so tend to have a wider knowledge of individual local property prices
Sales and marketing
Selling is a skill. No one is going to persuade an unwilling buyer to purchase your property, but a professional sales person will be able to communicate effectively, pointing out advantages and answering queries that might otherwise have put someone off. In addition, a good agent will have the resources to market your property nationally via their website.
Inviting strangers into your home carries a risk. You don’t know who they are and you can’t vet them, but you could find yourself alone with them in your home. Sadly, these days this is not wise. An agent who accompanies viewers means that you won’t be put in a vulnerable position.
You can never be sure if a viewer is genuinely interested in your property, and some people make a hobby of looking around houses when they have no intention of buying. A good agent will check if the buyer is serious and ask if they have a Mortgage Agreement in Principle. If they haven’t arranged a loan (which means there’s no guarantee they can afford to buy), the agent can set this in motion.
Any decent agent will have someone available to talk to potential buyers. You might not be able to do this.
Take the Sure Path
You stand to gain or lose a lot whether you buy or sell your house in London in the real estate market. However, you can ensure that you get the best deal by working with the best estate agency in town.
As one of the best estate agents, we have everything it takes to get you the best deal whether you are looking to buy or sell your house in London. We have a proven track-record of success, and you are always welcome to join our growing portfolio of happy clients.